Saturday 4 February 2012

Kilkenny

Today the Cultural Society had a free trip to Kilkenny. We left a very cloudy and rainy Dublin to head south to a very cloudy and rainy Kilkenny. Surprise surprise. Good thing I have curly hair (looks like I'm not going to get very much use our of that straightener you convinced me I needed to bring, Mom)! Anyways, we started off at the Rothe house- a series of three houses and gardens owned by the Rothe family hundreds of years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Rothe plus 12 children!! It started as one house but as the babies kept on coming they built additional houses. There's a lot of history behind the family and the houses but I won't bore you. As the tour guide explained certain events throughout history it was neat that I could connect them to what I'm learning in my Irish history course.
 Left: Front of the Rothe House. Right: The top floor of the first house (this picture is mainly for you Dad but I thought it was cool).
 The gardens at the rear of the property.

After we finished our tour of the Rothe House, we headed to Langton's Hotel from a lunch of tea, tea sandwiches, and a cup of soup. It was delicious though not very filling. We were given a couple of hours to walk around ourselves so we stopped at a cute little restaurant and I fulfilled my remaining hunger and my bagel craving. Then we toted around a couple of the little shops in the village before heading over to get a closer look at the castle.
 Kilkenny Castle from the river.
 Me in front of Kilkenny Castle.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to go into the castle. Apparently it is in very good condition- furnished and everything. In much better shape than Blarney Castle that we saw last weekend. I think I'll definitely add Kilkenny to the to-do list when Mom and Dad come visit. Overall it was a great day despite being cold and rainy. Maybe I am getting used to this weather. Though there is not a chance you'll see me walking outside in 40 degree weather in just a jumper (aka a sweater) anytime soon like these Irish kids. Crazy. Anyways, I'm off to get ready to go meet some friends. One of my friend's friends is here so we are going to show him a traditional Irish pub. Don't worry- I'll stay far away from the Guinness.

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment