Sunday 15 April 2012

Belfast: Take 2

Yesterday was my day trip to Belfast with my history module (our required Irish history course for the program). We woke up rather early but still not as early as Paris so no complaints. We got on the bus and halfway to Belfast we stopped at a hotel for breakfast. We arrived in the banquet hall impressed with the cereal and toast, only to find out that that was merely a starter. We were served a full Irish breakfast--eggs, sausage, rashers (bacon but so much better), some sort of potato (couldn't tell you how it was cooked but it was delicious and kind of tasted like a doughnut..), biscuits in the form of bread, friend tomatoes, and the infamous blood sausages. Now, up until now, I had been purposefully avoiding blood sausage because the idea of consuming pigs blood in any way shape or form kind of freaks me out. BUT since it was on my plate, I had to at the very least try it. We were given two kinds--white and black I guess? Not sure if that's the technical terms but one looked like a normal sausage, the other looked like it had been set aflame! I tried the white one first as it was more normal looking--not bad. Then the black one--also not bad. However, I did not finish them. I think if I had been given them without knowing what they were, I would've enjoyed them but the idea just was too much for me. Anyways... enough about sausage... We got back on the coach and headed up to Belfast.

We arrived at Stormont, Northern Ireland's parliament building. It was beautiful. I had already been here with the BU trip a while back and sadly didn't learn anything I hadn't already been told but our tour guide was great and informative (when I could understand what he was saying...). Then we headed upstairs and were given a lunch of soup, sandwiches, and tea. Yumm!

Left: Stormont and the statue of Carson, Right: the mile drive up to Stormont
 Left: statue of Lord Craigavon in foyer, Right: ceiling and chandeliers


We got back on the bus to go pick up our tour guide. Boy was that an adventure! I'm pretty sure our bus driver was directionally challenged. We took just a few too many u-turns for a coach of that size. But we eventually found her and she was absolutely fantastic. First stop was the Titanic slips to see where the great ship was built. On the 100th anniversary of the sinking, it was a bit mobbed but we were able to see the outside of the museum and learn about some of the history (that isn't included in the movie!).

 Titanic Museum
 Left: me with the Titanic sign, Right: Titanic's sister ship, the Nomadic
 Samson and Goliath--Belfast's famous "giants"



Next, our tour guide took us around some of the city to show us a handful of the murals and peace walls. It was really interesting cause she told us personal stories about living there during the troubles. Though she always put a humorous spin on them, some of her stories were horrifying. I couldn't even imagine. The scariest part is that that part of their history was so recent. We dropped off Wendy and headed on out of the city.
 Left: Queen's College, Right & Below: political murals



We stopped at the same hotel for dinner: salad, lasagna, and chips (everything comes with chips but I am not complaining). Then it was a short trip back to Dublin. Overall, it was a good day trip. Unfortunately, because of our bus drivers numerous u-turns we were behind schedule and so some of it was a bit rushed but all in all it was educational and good to get away from real school work, if only for a day. Next week is the last week of classes. Can't believe it! I'm down to one last project and then its just finals. Though I shouldn't say just finals because each one is worth at least 50% of my grade... scary! Next weekend is a quick trip to Edinburg, Scotland with Carly! Last big trip so I'm super excited!

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment