Friday 20 April 2012

A Night at the Dogs

Now normally anything to do with dogs is 100% my kind of party BUT when we were invited to our last Quinn (business school) study abroad event at the greyhound races I wasn't quite sure if I'd enjoy it. I didn't really understand the concept of dogs racing until my mom told me they chased a rabbit. That only made things worse as I pictured a scarred little rabbit trying to outrun these giant greyhounds. Luckily, my dad clarified that it was now a mechanical rabbit. Thank goodness. So we got to the race track and the first thing I see is the traps where the dogs are released before the race. From that moment I knew that this was not going to be good for me. We watched a couple of races and I was amazed at how face the dogs were able to run but we'd all seen enough so we decided to head home. It was definitely an experience and now I can say I've been to greyhound races. I think next time I'll try horse races.

 Me, Carly, Jess

 Left: Shelbourne Greyhound Park, Right: the track and traps (Aviva Stadium--where Rugby is played-- in the background)

 Left: betting, Right: blurs of greyhounds


In other news.... today marks the eight week countdown until my program is over. Lately it's been a tad depressing with everyone talking about going home (only BU stays that late, the other programs end in a couple of weeks) and everyone at home talking about how nice it is (I have finally realized that it will not get above 50 and those sun dresses I brought were a waste of space... whoops). But I've also realized how much I'm going to miss Ireland. I am going to be beyond excited to go home but sitting in the airport (if I ever get the chance to... as of right now I'm never coming home....) I'm definitely going to be emotional. This has been the experience of a lifetime and though the things I miss about America are plenty, Ireland will always have a place in my heart.

On a less serious note.... just a couple of hours until Carly and I head off to Edinburgh, Scotland! I am super excited! We get back late Sunday and I start my internship Monday--also super exciting!

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment